Antonio Conte has insisted that he has no regrets about his behaviour during the bust-up with Jose Mourinho and says he will never forget what the Manchester Unitedmanager said about him.
The Chelsea manager reacted furiously to comments made by Mourinho on more than one occasion last week.
Conte said, “Do I have this look, a person that regrets? I don’t think so. We both said things and we will see what happens in the future.”
The war of words began after Mourinho accused some rival managers last Thursday of acting like clowns on the touchline – which appeared to be a reference to Conte. The latter hit back 24 hours later by saying the Manchester United boss had senile dementia.
When the Manchester United coach replied later on Friday evening that he’d never been banned for match fixing – something Conte suffered while in Italy in 2012 (although he was cleared in 2016) – Conte labelled him “a little man” and “a fake” after Chelsea’s draw at Norwich City.
Conte also revealed he would look to meet him face to face ahead of their League game at Old Trafford later in the season.
The furore has dominated the back pages for the last few days and the Football Association are believed to have encouraged the League Managers Association to intervene.
When asked if the LMA or the FA had been in touch encouraging him to make peace with the Portuguese, he replied, “I think it’s not important the Association – he said serious words, used serious words. I won’t forget this.”
“This is not a problem from the club. It is a problem between me and him. I stop.”