Police probe Newcastle’s Joelinton over ‘Covid rule-break

 

Police will speak to Newcastle United star Joelinton after he posted a picture of himself getting a haircut during lockdown.
The club’s record signing was branded an ‘idiot’ by the stylist, Tom Baxter, after the Instagram post landed the pair in hot water.
It has now been revealed that both Northumbria Police and Newcastle City Council are investigating the post.
Newcastle United – which was previously hit by an outbreak of the virus – took a dim view of the striker’s actions, vowing to take ‘appropriate action internally’.
The £40m forward didn’t feature in Saturday’s 2-0 victory over Everton, and he could face a hefty club fine.
Northumbria Police force confirmed it was now looking at whether the pair broke Covid-19 rules.
‘We are aware of a social media post involving a 24-year-old man and a 35-year-old man who may be in breach of Coronavirus restrictions,’ said a force spokesperson.
‘We will be speaking to those involved and consider any further action under the Coronavirus legislation.’
Barbers and hairdressers closed in early January after England entered a third national lockdown. To date, the virus has claimed over 100,000 British lives.
However the Premier League forward posted a picture to his 110k followers of him sat in a salon chair next to Mr Baxter, with the pair posing in face masks.
The award-winning celebrity stylist – who has also cut the hair other other Toon stars – said on Monday the pair had actually been partaking in a legal photo shoot, insisting ‘There is no story’.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *