Tottenham forward Gareth Bale says he is planning to return to Real Madrid when his loan spell runs out at the end of the season.
The Welshman had fallen out of favour at the Bernabeu under Zinedine Zidane and returned to north London on a season-long loan deal last year.
Bale will have just one year left on his Madrid contract come the summer, and the prospect had been raised of extending his loan by a further season.
However, despite a recent upturn in form, the 31-year-old has struggled for form and fitness under Jose Mourinho, and his future is sure to be a topic of debate as the summer transfer window nears.
“There’s no distraction for me,” Bale told a press conference ahead of Wales’ opening 2022 World Cup qualifier in Belgium.
“I think the main reason I came to Spurs this year was to play football first and foremost.
“Going into the Euros I wanted to be match-fit. The original plan was to do a season at Spurs and after the Euros still have a year left at Real Madrid.
“My plan is to go back, that’s as far I have planned.”
Bale has scored 10 times in 25 appearances for Spurs this season, but half of those goals have come in the cup competitions, though he has found the net four times in his last four league appearances.
As well as Thursday’s meeting with Belgium – which will bring back memories of Wales’ famous Euro 2016 triumph – Bale could be involved in games against Mexico and Czech Republic over the next fortnight as the build-up to this summer’s Euros intensifies.
“Over the last few years this is probably the most match fitness I’ve had,” he added.
Read Also: Chelsea owner launches defamation proceedings against Putin’s People book
“I’m feeling fresh and ready to go. I always think when things aren’t going too well at a club, it’s nice to get away, especially mentally, get away from the club environment.
“Definitely it can be a benefit. We focus on these games for Wales, which are very important for us.
“We forget club life and concentrate on this.”