Despite the claim by the federal government of Nigeria that it has overpowered the Boko Haram insurgents, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Borno Sate Command, Victor Isuki, has today disclosed that five female suicide bombers struck again in Kofa community of Maiduguri yesterday, killing 17 people.
Isuki in a press statement said, “Yesterday Sunday 18/6/2017, at about 2030hrs, five female suicide bombers detonated IED strapped to their bodies in Kofa community, which is about 8km from Maiduguri town and situated along Maiduguri- Konduga road. The first suicide bomber, detonated near a mosque, killing seven persons.”
“The second detonated in a house killing five persons. While two other suicide bombers detonated within the same vicinity, killing themselves only. A total of seventeen persons including the five suicide bombers died, while eleven persons sustained injuries and were rushed to UMTH. EOD team were mobilized to the scene and normalcy has since been restored.”
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), through its northeast region spokesman Abdulkadir Ibrahim said, two female suicide bombers tried to get into the camp but were thwarted by security personnel. Ibrahim said, “Two other female suicide bombers also detonated their explosives at the adjoining Dalori, Kofa village, where they killed 16 people. The 16 does not include the bombers.”
Dalori is about 10 kilometres southeast of Maiduguri and is one of the largest camps for internally displaced people (IDP) in the remote region. Boko Haram had previously tried to target the camp. At least 85 people were killed in January last year when insurgents rampaged through communities near Dalori. Residents were shot and their homes burned down while female suicide bombers blew themselves up among the crowds of people fleeing the violence.