The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Professor. Is-haq Oloyede has said that no fewer than 59,698 candidates of the recently concluded examination have had their results cancelled over examination malpractices.
Speaking in Abuja at a news conference at the end of an enlarged meeting with external examiners and other stakeholders on the conduct of the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), Oloyede said, 1,386 candidates had their results cancelled over examination malpractice, while 57,646 results were also affected as a result of centres-induced malpractices.
He said the results of 666 candidates were cancelled due to multiple examinations. He pointed out that there is a reduction in the 76,923 initially withheld by the examination body when the results of the 2017 UTME were announced on 31 May. The JAMB registrar had earlier said that the final figure of annulled results would be announced after a thorough investigation.
According to him, there may be a second chance for some of the candidates to seat for a supplementary UTME, especially for those who are determined to be innocent of centre-induced exam cheating. The Supplementary exam will take place 1 July, mostly for candidates who registered late for this year’s UTME. Oloyede added that some of the candidates whose results were cancelled, would also take part in the rescheduled exam.
He listed the categories of candidates whose results were cancelled but would take part in the rescheduled examination to include candidates of centres with mass malpractices but who are deemed innocent, and candidates with biometric non-verification machine related issues. He added that others are those who had technical and log out issues, late registration, incomplete results, and candidates who lost examination sessions due to malfunctioning of servers at the affected centre. The JAMB boss said the decision to allow the candidates sit for the rescheduled examination was reached after a thorough review of all the reports that emanated from their centres.
Oloyede also said that, 24 CBT “centres will not participate in the 2018 UTME, but they can be reconsidered for 2019 and above. The delisting of 48 centres from participating in the board’s examination in future is as a result of serious technical deficiencies, extortion, organised examination malpractices and other damaging infractions.”
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) had in released May 1,606,901 results out of the 1,718, 425 that registered for the UTME.